Sunday, July 26, 2015

Dear Mom,

Dear Mom,
I want to thank you for bringing me into this beautiful world
Recently, I’ve discovered love
and it’s the most amazing feeling I’ve ever felt.
It’s safe and warm.
But sometimes it scares me because I have issues to work on
Issues that started when I was young boy
When a hug and a kiss and a “I love you” at night would have fought off those nightmares
When being bullied at school and coming home to someone to show me that being different is a good kind of special.
Instead you showed me exactly how Cinderella felt
and the scars you left, were not only on my skin
but also beaten into my soul
And it’s been hard for me to trust anybody
but I strive
and they say I grew up too fast
and I let my childhood past me
last time I checked,
I wasn’t the one who disowned me
It’s alright though momma
I don’t blame you
I wouldn’t want a son who would bring shame, too.
That’s sarcasm
Because I’ll love my child no matter what sexual orientation they choose
Because love is always winning and I refuse to lose.
See,
I know you were just looking out for my brothers
how could I argue
I want them to grow up and be real men too.
To have hopes and dreams
and to accomplish more than the limits set in their minds
I might not be your son
and you might not be my mother
but let them know that I love them
and I’ll always be their big brother
One day, I’ll get married
and start a family of my own
Probably won’t win any Father of the year awards
but I’ll do my best
Because I learned from your absence
That love is powerful
and even though you shot down my imagination

I can still wear a cape and a “S” on my chest

No comments:

Post a Comment